Friday, November 30, 2012

An Avid Festival of The Trees 2012

My Daughter Phaedra, is an English Teacher at Hunter High School. She is responsible for a program referred to as AVID. This is a program to help, and find scholarships for students and to prepare them for College. A wonderful program with wonderful events. Each year these students are given the opportunity to Volunteer for  several  great causes. A learning experience for them, and a great help to the community. Yesterday they went to The Festival of The Trees. This event allows people to decorate trees and put them up for auction. The proceeds go to the Primary Children's Hospital a wonderful place dedicated to the healing of Children regardless of their financial situation. Many of the Trees are dedicated to young children who have passed away. All of the trees are heartfelt, beautiful and some heart wrenching, bringing you to tears. The students are given an assignment to monitor a group of trees, protecting them and to answer questions about them. This lasts for a three hour period. It is hard to stand there for three hours, so I truly admire there dedication to do this every year. I have been fortunate to be able to go with them twice. They are the greatest group of young men and women, and I am very proud to be associated with them. They all were dressed very well and the young men were handsome and the young ladies very beautiful. The beauty also radiated from the inside. A wonderful experience for me and I will always answer the call if they need me



 
These are a few of the Avid Student volunteers. Are'nt they a good looking group?
 
 




The Santa Volunteers thought I was coming to replace their Santa and were nervous that I did not have on a Santa's Suit. We straightened out who I was and they encouraged me to volunteer, which I am going to do next year.
 


 I have a long white beard, and long white hair. As I walked around the festival, it was wonderful for me to see the excitement in the little children's face's as they thought I was Santa Claus. I was stopped many times and talked to kids to the delight of their parents. I was so inspired by this, and at the encouragement of the Festival organizers, I am going to volunteer next year to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment